Salzkammergut Bus Tour: Experience the most beautiful Lakes & Mountains of the Salzkammergut
With our HOP ON HOP OFF bus tour (GREEN Line & RED Line) we take you from Salzburg to the beautiful Salzkammergut lake district. Discover the surroundings of the city with its crystal-clear lakes and impressive mountain panorama. If you are already staying in the Salzkammergut lake district, you can use the HOP ON HOP OFF bus to get from the countryside into the city for an affordable price. Assemble your own Salzkammergut bus tour and get off at one of the 16 stops. Discover picturesque villages with irresistible charm, sparkling Salzkammergut lakes and breathtaking mountain views.
Due to the outstanding beauty of the region, already emperors and nobility selected the Salzkammergut lake district for their summer holidays. The region is rich in salt, lush meadows and original traditions. Nature enthusiasts get here full value of their money on this tour!
Among the top-attractions along the route are numerous Salzkammergut mountains and lakes:
- Lake Fuschl with lake promenade.
- Photo stop with panoramic view of Lake Wolfgang and Mount Schafberg.
- Mozart’s Village St. Gilgen at Lake Wolfgang.
- Mondsee village and lake with Basilica of St. Michael (Sound of Music Wedding Church).
- Summer toboggan run at Strobl.
- Wolfgang with pilgrimage church and Hotel Weisses Rössl.
- Schafbergbahn, the steepest cogwheel railway in Austria.
Highlights Lakes & Mountains Tour
- Impressive landscape with majestic mountains & crystal-clear lakes.
- Picturesque villages like Fuschl, St. Wolfgang & Mondsee.
- Informative audioguide – available in 13 languages: German, English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Czech, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Arabian.
- Departure every hour.
- From/to Salzburg city.
- Day ticket for the price of 30 Euros.
- FREE ticket for public transport in the city of Salzburg (bus zone S, lines 1-28 & 151) including bus to the Untersberg cablecar (line 25) and mount Gaisberg (line 151).
- FREE WIFI in all busses.
Lakes & Mountains routes and stops (GREEN Line & RED Line):
Lakes & Mountains timetable (GREEN Line & RED Line):
Timetable 2019 Lakes & Mountains GREEN Line and Lake Wolfgangsee RED Line valid daily from 30.03. to 26.10.2019
Note: Traffic may cause delays. Boarding is only possible if free seats are available.
Sights along the Salzkammergut lake district tour:
- Fuschl am See – GREEN Line, stop 6
The idyllic village of Fuschl is located directly at Lake Fuschl surrounded by mount Schober. The crystal-clear water of the lake sparkles in turquoise-green colours. During the summer months, the open-air bath invites you to swim in the lake. Around the lake leads a picturesque circular footpath. It is worth to go at least part of the way or just stroll along the lake promenade. In Fuschl am See you can also admire the parish church of St. Erasmus. Moreover, the village offers numerous restaurants and cafes. You should also not miss the Red Bull headquarter with its impressive extraordinary architecture.
- Photo stop Lake Wolfgang – GREEN Line, between stop 6 & 7
On the way to St. Gilgen we take a photo stop. Above the roofs of St. Gilgen you can enjoy a magnificent view over the lake and the surrounding mountains.
- Gilgen – GREEN & RED Line, stop 7A short walk leads from the bus stop to the village center and to the departure point of the the cruise on Lake Wolfgang. St. Gilgen is considered the ‘Mozart village’. There is the birthplace of the mother of Mozart, which was also the home of his sister ‘Nannerl’. In addition, Mozart Square with the Mozart Fountains can be seen. If you want to go up the mountain, you will find the cable car to mount Zwölferhorn right next to the bus stop. Here is also the transfer point from the GREEN to the RED line.
Tip: Get a combo-ticket HOP ON HOP OFF & cruise on Lake Wolfgang.
- Mondsee – GREEN Line, stop 9
On the Salzkammergut lake district tour you should not miss visiting Mondsee. After a short walk you reach the center of the village with the beautiful basilica known as the ‘Sound of Music Wedding Church’. Right next to it is Mondsee Palace. Relax at the market square with its colourful houses and enjoy some coffee and homemade cake. Visit the lakeside promenade of Lake Mondsee with spectacular views of mount Schafberg. During summer time you can take a swim in the lake.
- Toboggan run Strobl – RED Line, stop 73 – Gschwendt / Landauer
Summer tobogganing is the perfect leisure activity for the whole family! The giant slide promises a holiday experience with a lot of fun. From the bus stop you can also reach the nature reserve Blinklingmoos and the local heritage museum Lipphaus. The Lipphaus was inhabited until 1977. Today, many objects that were used in former times for a living can be visited there.
- Wolfgang – RED Line, stop 75
St. Wolfgang is idyllically situated between Lake Wolfgang and the impressive mount Schafberg. In the picturesque village center, which is only a few minutes walk from the bus stop, lies the famous Hotel Weisses Rössl – known from the operetta melody. Moreover, you can visit the beautiful pilgrimage church of St. Wolfgang. Before Christmas, St. Wolfgang enchants its guests with one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in Austria. In the run-up to Christmas, the Advent of Lake Wolfgangsee enchants its guests – one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in Austria.
- Schafbergbahn – RED Line, stop 76
The Schafbergbahn is Austria’s steepest cogwheel railway. The journey with the nostalgic steam locomotive is an experience of its own. The railway leads from St. Wolfgang to the 1.783 meter high mount Schafberg. Once at the top you have an impressive panoramic view over the lake district from the Bohemian Forest in the north to the Alps in the south.
Tip: With your HOP ON HOP OFF ticket you get a 10% discount on the Schafbergbahn – if you buy your ticket on site.